Thursday, April 26, 2012

Good food = Happy Kids

Okay so here is mama life. It's busy, yes very busy. With three children under 6, things can get a little bit hairy around here. I'm a pretty easy going mom, my house is not perfectly clean but it is tidy..... some days. Really depends on the point of the day you look at it. Right now it isn't too bad there are a few things on the floor and there is laundry to do. I do make time for important things and usually that is cooking for my kids. Now the fantasy I have in my head is where we eat all organic food, fresh from sources including milk.  I also bake all our bread products with freshly ground flour from the local organic grain store thingy. It is a really is a pretty world in my head, almost in a 50's style living, you know the "simpler times" idea from TV.

                                                      I love aprons I really would love to get one


Now  lets talk reality. Organic is expensive, and you need to be careful with green washing. Personally I rather know that my food had chemicals then think it was organic and find out I had been lied to. I really try to have the best food I can manage for my kids. I'm so fortunate the they are all good eaters, and not picky. Generally they eat whatever it is that i make for them. So we make do with what we have and that means weekly trips to the local fresh vegetable store. I like to go to the smaller places instead of the big box store. I personally find better quality fruits and vegetables there. Also I try and hit up the farmers markets when they are going on to help support the local farmers because they are the ones who really need some love. My kids like going to the farmers markets, there is always lots going on but I think they like the samples best. Heck that is why they want to go to Costco every single time we drive by.  I diverge though, good food makes for happy kids. Yes I'm sure my kids would love to gorge themselves on fast food and candy but I know what would happen after that and I just, just don't like going there. So for us real food, good food is what we try and keep in our house. Now still in that reality check here, those days happen and that is fine and dandy but just not often.
We eat a fair amount of foods in this house and I'm always trying to shake things up and make something different. I really don't like getting into a rut where I make the same thing over and over again. I like to consider myself a pretty good cook, my husband says I am so it must be true. :)
I know from my personal experience when we cut the processed junk the dyes the excessive sugar my kids are happier. We don't do much junk for the kids. Three is the odd time that we have treats but as a general we don't. I think complete denial  will just cause problems just like free range would. Indulgence seems to be a bit of a human condition.
My kids know that when we are at a party they need to pick the healthy snack first and then they can have treats. I really try to pretend that I am the mom who has the kids who always make healthy choices, but once again lets reality check. They are kids, they see other kids eating yummy treats and the treats taste good, really good. I know I want all the yummy goodness I can't expect my children to always resist but hey I teach them to make choices and you are responsible for your choices. If you gorge when mommy's back is turned and you feel sick later, that is a natural consequence.
Oh well we just keep trying but I do my best. Keep healthy options open and hide the candy, yes even from myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment