Monday, October 8, 2012

Homemade Almond MIlk

Most people I know are always looking for dairy alternatives and ways to save money.

I have found that making my own almond milk is so easy and super beneficial



Home made Almond Milk

1 cup of almonds
5 cups of filtered water
 2 tsp maple syrup or vanilla
nut bag or cheese cloth
strainer
Blender

Take the cup of almonds and soak them for 12 - 24 hours preferred  if you need them sooner try to go at least 4 .  Then strain them to get the soaking water off and rinse them. In a blender place 5 cups of filtered water, add the almond and maple syrup or vanilla. blend until there are not chunks of almonds and everything looks smooth. Pour into either a nut bag or a strainer with a cheese cloth, straining the milk into a bowl. Keep the almond meal ! you can dry it out.  Separate into bottles and refrigerate. makes about 1 liter.


Take your Almond meal and place in on a stone or parchment lined pan and place it in a low over. ( 200) for a good 4-5 hours till it dries out. Makes for a wonderful flour substitution in many baked goods.

my jar of Almond meal

On a side note I know some people blanch their almonds first so that is an option but I don't. Don't even know how to

.

1 comment:

  1. Been wondering how almond milk is made. I had no idea it was so simple! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete