Thursday, May 9, 2013

Works well with others.........

What does it mean to work well with others? Seriously? Everyone put it on their resume and it is such a token comment in any interview. It is something that children are graded on in school even. I'm looking at the world and wondering what does it really mean "works well with others"?

Honestly in my opinion the expectations of today's society there is a major change in the wording needed, to explain what is expected. Works well for others! This is what is really wanted in most situations. Some one who is compliant and does what they are told with no resistance. This makes me sad, especially for children. Adults have more choice in the matter. If they don't like the situation they are allowed to change it, children not so much.

Now when I think of a good team scenario I think of people who compliment each other, all having different strengths and weaknesses and corroborating together. This far too often isn't what really happens in many situations, sure in some but really in most it isn't. You have your boss and they tell you what to do.

I personally find it more and more that "works well with others" really is meaning I listen well and do as I'm told. Very rarely are people wanting someone with drive and ambition, who are wanting to move forwards and makes changes where they need to be made. What is wanted is someone who will put their head down and work, won't cause confrontation or problems. Just simply do as wanted.

Is that who you want your child to be? Is that who you want to be? If you do then great, but I don't. I want to work with others. I want to be free to make choices and decisions  I would like people to be open to new ideas, not just what corporate wants. I do not want to be a drone and I don't want my children to be forced into becoming one. I want them to love life and enjoy.




No comments:

Post a Comment